NEWS FROM SCHOOL:
- ONE CALL: if you did not receive an email, phone call and/or text message on Thursday evening from ONE CALL, please contact the office so we can include you in our messages. We use this system for emergencies; snow days, lock downs, or other important information from school.
- STRING PROGRAM: if your child is in grade 3-8 and is interested in learning to play a violin, viola or cello, we will have an introductory assembly for them next Friday. A flyer will come home at that time. This is a great opportunity to introduce them to the Arts!
- AFTERNOON PICKUP: Please make sure your child is able to enter your vehicle from the passenger side. If they cannot buckle themselves, please pullover and buckle them. Buckling in the care line makes the line go very slow. Thank you for your assistance with this matter!!
- SPIRIT WEAR WEDNESDAY: Students may wear spirit-wear with uniform bottoms every Wednesday. If you need a spirit shirt, please send $5.00 to the office in an envelope with your child’s name and size on the front.
- ST VIVIAN DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATION: come celebrate with our St. Vivian Family! There will be tours, games and fun for everyone!! Save the date! September 16
The year has started strong at St. Vivian School in Finneytown, where their service learning program is a major component of the charism of the school. Each grade has opportunities throughout the year to participate in projects that inform students of unjust or poor conditions, both in our own community and the larger world, and how God calls each of us to be part of the solution- to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
Already, grades six and eight have been hard at work. Sixth graders visited and volunteered at Giving Fields Farm, a sustainable growing operation run by the Free Store Food Bank importance of bees to agriculture, and they also harvested the last of the season’s vegetables and planted a final crop of leafy greens. They were very gratified to learn that the results of their labors would grace the tables of families served by various soup kitchens and pantries in Northern Kentucky within a day or two. The morning was a great example of how human scientific learning cooperates with God’s grace in providing food for people in our own community!
St. Vivian’s eighth graders spearheaded a start-of-school campaign to collect school supplies, which they packed into pencil boxes and pouches for the pantry at St. Vincent DePaul headquarters on Bank St. The students had visited the center for their Confirmation retreat last year, and were so inspired by the volunteering that they did in the pantry that they wanted to make a further contribution. Their efforts culminated in a total of 65 filled supply boxes, along with bags of extra pens and pencils. Items were placed on the pantry shelves for patrons to choose if they have a family with children in school. As part of the research and education surrounding the project, the lesson reinforced the importance of education as the leading road out of the cycle of poverty. Helping to provide the tools for a good foundation for that education connected the students with the solidarity of experience with other, less fortunate kids.
St. Vivian students are grateful to have opportunities for spiritual growth by participating in projects that bring to life our Catholic Social Justice teachings. Jesus is indeed alive in our halls and hearts.
NEWS FROM PTA:
Please look through closets and drawers to see if you have any uniforms you can donate to the uniform exchange. We always need adult-sized sweatshirts, skirts, and jumpers.
Uniforms can also be ordered through Schoolbelles. We will be sending out a website to link to approved St. Vivian Uniforms.
More gym shirts are being ordered.
Our first Fundraiser of the year is coming up in September 7. We will be selling the very popular Discovery Coupon Books.
Dine and Donate at Skyline Sept 6. Look for a flyer next week.
Please consider helping out as a recess volunteer, once or multiple times a month. This is a huge help to our teachers. Click on the attached Sign Up Genius. Must be Virtus Trained.
Please continue to fill out the the volunteer interest survey. (light purple sheets)
Connect with St. Vivian PTA on Facebook or email email@example.com